Market Days CIC was incorporated in November 2020 as a community interest company which means that all profits and assets from the company will be used for the public good and there are no shareholders in the company.
Market Days’ Vision – The revival of markets as the “regenerating factor” for contemporary townscapes
Market Days’ Mission – To Promote, Arrange and Sustain markets in Newport and the Isle of Wight
- To Support and educate new entrepreneurs
- Assist in the setup of new micro-businesses on the Isle of Wight
- Promote the use of market trading to grow enterprise and act as a pathway of self employment
- Help to promote local businesses
- Create and maintain vibrant markets which attract people to island towns
- Support the regeneration of Newport by re-establishing a sense of identity and belonging by re-connecting people with the rich market heritage of the county town/
- Provide opportunities for entertainment, exhibition and spectacle in Newport by organising and supporting cultural events.
As an historic market town, Newport’s heritage is built on its strategic relevance as a centre for trade. it boasts two large public squares that were both used for regular markets, and wide Georgian streets lined with grand town houses where merchants would have stayed while doing business. The opportunity exists to bring back markets to Newport.
Our Community Interest Statement
|Activities||How will the activity benefit the community?|
|Promote outdoor trading, activities, events and markets in Newport and the Isle of Wight||This activity will: |
– Foster a sense of identity and belonging in the community, recovering a sense of pride in the town’s market heritage
– Promote Newport as a visitor destination with a range of events and markets to attract tourism and improve economic opportunities for businesses in Newport
|Organise and deliver events and markets in Newport and the Isle of Wight||This activity will:|
– Provide economic opportunities for the Island’s craftspeople, farmers, producers and traders
– Provide opportunities for visitors and residents to access local produce and crafts in the town centre
– Provide a sense of community and offer a weekly opportunity for people to meet and interact
|Provide support, education and opportunities for micro-businesses to trade at markets with low risk and easy set up to take part||This activity will: |
– Encourage and support new entrepreneurs to start up and to trade
– Enable grow of micro-businesses and give them an opportunity to try out new ideas